Californiacation

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Californiacation

Post  choogle on Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:44 pm

Bill Bruford: Drums wrote:I just need to point out: The Doors were never frilly.

But yeah, the Harryghost sitcom has been a long time comin'.

piratey?

choogle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Plonk on Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:26 pm

how embarrassing!

Plonk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Plonk on Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:28 pm

Note: The Whiskey must have advertisements involving an apple (or a thousand) and being tempted.
Plonk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Bruford: Drums on Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:38 pm

I had a weird thought about The Whisky this morning as I was trying to not wake up for work: the crazy final episode that would take place at Altamont and the main character gets drunk on top of tripping and finally comes to terms with his brother who was killed in Vietnam and feels the first stirrings of violence and apathy!

Oh and the Airplane's set totally stinks, even before Marty Balin gets socked with a pool cue.
Bill Bruford: Drums
Admin

View user profile http://rockcloset.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Bruford: Drums on Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:43 pm

One of the hardest parts about making The Whisky will be casting and one of the hardest parts to cast will be famous freak Carl Franzoni:

Who could play this challenging role?
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Plonk on Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:56 pm

ok, fine. I'll do it.
Plonk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  choogle on Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:59 pm

hm. that HAIR is certainly a challenge.

Could the apple in the advertisement be somehow coded as "rocking" or "trippy? Tie-dyed apple?

Altamont sounds like a very special episode indeed. So how about in the pilot his brother is shipping off just as he's getting hired to help book rock acts at this wacky venue? And he has a run-in with a groupie, who will become the love of his life?
choogle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Bruford: Drums on Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:04 pm

Hm, maybe the brother DOESN'T die in 'Nam. Maybe he ships off in the pilot and then around Season 2 he's finished his tour and he comes back all frazzled and even more tripped out and frazzed then his brother who spend the meanwhile doing drugs and getting laid and grooving to amazing music. Because the brother was over there in the shit ALSO doing drugs and experiencing all the crazy stuff like in that book DISPATCHES and he comes back and he's way weirder than Carl Franzoni or any of the other freaks and its his weird vibes that sets off a crazy sequence of events that leads to Meredith Hunter's murder and the END OF THE SIXTIES.
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  choogle on Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:05 pm

Or maybe the brother predicts the END OF THE SIXTIES by moving out to the wilderness and getting into country music. Maybe opening a B&B.
choogle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Bruford: Drums on Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:10 pm

Well, surely somebody's got to move out to the country, though I'd like to avoid including The Diggers because they were lame and I wouldn't want to give them the satisfaction. But I really like the shell-shocked/acid-crocked soldier thing -- though maybe having him responsible for Altamont is a stretch. Maybe he'll just inadvertantly break up the Mamas and the Papas.
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Bruford: Drums on Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:21 pm

It's hard to know whether you make the GTOs regular characters or keep them sort of in the background. I mean, I certainly wouldn't be able to get enough of scenes like this, but will America agree?

Miss P. will have to be a consultant.
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Plonk on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:03 pm

The most important thing to remember about the groupies is that the early groupies all had hearts of gold and loved the music. The later groupies, like Sable Star, were all evil and way too young and didn't love the music. Maybe this can be part of the storyline.

Maybe in one episode some West Coast Hippies can meet up with some East Coast Hippies and there can be a hippie culture clash. Of course, in the end they just drop some acid and enjoy themselves some free love.
Plonk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  choogle on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:09 pm

This feels more and more like an HBO show (the following show contains tons of boobs and loose morals).

I know that true groupies loved the music AND the musicians from that documentary about a kid who through the make a wish foundation gets to travel around with the great '70s sludge-rock band Stillwater ("Fever Dog") before heading into the terminal stages of being a total loser.

Perhaps in the booking game there came a time when people weren't as "into the music" as they had been, and this could provide a tension around season 3 (1969) as a conniving, music-ignorant schemer comes to work at the club, and butts heads with our hero, still dealing with his brother's freakout/Rocky Mountain B&B and still dealing the the effects of his short-lived affair with "Miss Pretzel," his groupie love of his life, who has taken off on tour with... ???
choogle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Bruford: Drums on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:12 pm

There's the old story about how the Velvet Underground came to California and played some shows and everybody thought they were the worst. This could be fun to dramatize because even though I love that band it would be nifty to be the first people since the 60s to show them in a bad light and not pull any punches and have some blonde lady sing really badly. Because let's face it: Nico was not the greatest singer. And Lou Reed and John Cale will be total jerks instead of geniuses. And Mo Tucker will be played by an adolescent boy.
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Bruford: Drums on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:18 pm

At some point the protagonist should leave his job at the fading Whisky to work at the Troubador (we can keep the name of the show because maybe he'll start drinking more heavily) and the band that Miss Pretzel (so flexible!) should run off with is SPIRIT because she's fallen in love with Randy California.
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Plonk on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:20 pm

choogle wrote:This feels more and more like an HBO show (the following show contains tons of boobs and loose morals).

I know that true groupies loved the music AND the musicians from that documentary about a kid who through the make a wish foundation gets to travel around with the great '70s sludge-rock band Stillwater ("Fever Dog") before heading into the terminal stages of being a total loser.

Perhaps in the booking game there came a time when people weren't as "into the music" as they had been, and this could provide a tension around season 3 (1969) as a conniving, music-ignorant schemer comes to work at the club, and butts heads with our hero, still dealing with his brother's freakout/Rocky Mountain B&B and still dealing the the effects of his short-lived affair with "Miss Pretzel," his groupie love of his life, who has taken off on tour with... ???

Miss Pretzel is an AMAZING groupie name. I bet she took off with Jimmy Page and his velvet pants.

How does our Hero deal with all this stuff? Drugs, gross girls, almost selling out?

I bet the Evil Music Guy says stuff like "The days of making music for art and love are over, maaaaaan." (I think he has a southern accent.)
Plonk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  choogle on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:21 pm

Sounds like a plan, but wouldn't SPIRIT be playing in LA constantly?

Important Question: Does our hero have a band of his own?!?
choogle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Bruford: Drums on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:21 pm

Plonk wrote:Miss Pretzel is an AMAZING groupie name. I bet she took off with Jimmy Page and his velvet pants.

How does our Hero deal with all this stuff? Drugs, gross girls, almost selling out?

I bet the Evil Music Guy says stuff like "The days of making music for art and love are over, maaaaaan." (I think he has a southern accent.)

Good idea. Then we can have the character played by Sawyer and throw him off a cliff!

Can we get Duchovny on the show? Was anybody that old in the 1960s?
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Plonk on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:23 pm

choogle wrote:Sounds like a plan, but wouldn't SPIRIT be playing in LA constantly?

Important Question: Does our hero have a band of his own?!?

EVERYONE had a band in the 60's. Or he has to be some sort of artist.

Who will play Randy California?
Plonk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Plonk on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:23 pm

Bill Bruford: Drums wrote:
Plonk wrote:Miss Pretzel is an AMAZING groupie name. I bet she took off with Jimmy Page and his velvet pants.

Good idea. Then we can have the character played by Sawyer and throw him off a cliff!

Can we get Duchovny on the show? Was anybody that old in the 1960s?

No, no, and NO.
Plonk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  choogle on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:26 pm

hard to say. getting actors with this kind of hair is going to be tough. any ideas?

also, adorable alert!
choogle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Plonk on Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:48 pm

theme song?

Plonk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Bruford: Drums on Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:53 pm

That's the most confusing video I've ever seen.
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Bruford: Drums on Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:10 pm

Also mooted as a theme song:

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Bruford: Drums on Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:11 pm

Or maybe this version -- less funky but groovier somehow?

DON'T MAKE ME CHOOSE!
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: